In an effort to save money, we decided to have most of our weekday lunches consist of beans & rice. As you all know, I LOVE my Instant Pot so I’ll take just about any excuse to use it! Here’s our spin on how to make an economical, yet healthy & tasty lunch!
Serving size: 12-16
- 4 TBSP Avocado oil
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 2 tsp Minced garlic
- 4 cups Organic, Sprouted Short Grain Brown Rice**
- 1.5 six ounce cans of Organic Tomato paste, mixed with 12 ounces filtered water, dash of Garlic Salt & dash of Herbs de Provence (Blend together in food processor)
- 5 cups Chicken Stock or Broth
- 2 tsp Celtic Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Cumin
- Dash of Cayenne pepper
- Set the Instant Pot on saute and add your oil and onions. Leave the lid off and stir frequently
- Saute the onions for about 4 minutes, then add in the rice & garlic
- Saute the onions, garlic & rice for about 2 minutes
- Add in the tomato sauce, chicken stock, salt, cumin, and cayenne pepper and stir. Scrape the bottom so it doesn’t burn
- Close and lock the lid. Turn the instant pot to manual for 8 minutes
- When the 8 minutes is up and the instant pot beeps, open the vent and place a towel over it until depressurized (be careful, it is very hot)
- Pair with some sprouted black beans, cheese, sour cream, tomato & cilantro and eat up!
** To sprout your rice, use a 1:1 ratio of uncooked rice to warm, filtered water & add 2 TBSP Apple Cider Vinegar. Let sit for at least 7 hours! Drain water & rinse rice and continue with recipe as directed.
Written by Kayla Rillie, RD
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Purchasing from these links help support our site, giving us a small commission without increasing the rate you pay. Thank you for your support of Nutrition Intuition.